Choosing a casket for a loved one is a significant decision, and it’s important to make choices that honor their wishes and provide comfort to your family. Here are some tips to consider when selecting a casket:
- Budget: Determine a budget for the casket. Caskets come in a wide range of prices, so knowing your budget will help narrow down your choices.
- Material: Caskets are made from various materials, including wood, metal, and eco-friendly options. Common wood choices include oak, cherry, mahogany, and pine. Metal caskets are typically made of steel or stainless steel.
- Style and Design: Caskets come in different styles and designs. Traditional caskets can have rounded corners, square corners, or unique details. Consider your loved one’s personal style and any religious or cultural preferences when choosing the design.
- Interior: Velvet, satin, or crepe are common choices of interior. Some people may take into consideration the color and texture of the lining when choosing clothing for their loved one.
- Design: Some caskets may have decorative handles, corners, or customized engraving. Handles may come as a swing bar or stationery. Discuss these options with the funeral director to see what is available.
- Sealing: Sealing caskets are designed to resist the entry of air and moisture. Typically, metal caskets seal and wood ones do not.
- Ask Questions: Don’t hesitate to ask the funeral director or casket supplier any questions you have about the available options and any other concerns you may have.
- Consider Pre-Planning: If possible, consider pre-planning the funeral arrangements with your loved one. This allows them to express their preferences for the type of casket and funeral service they desire.
Remember that choosing a casket is a personal decision, and there is no right or wrong choice. It’s about finding a casket that reflects your loved one’s wishes and provides comfort to your family during a difficult time. At Wing-Bain Funeral Home, you will find a selection of wood and metal caskets to choose from, and our directors do their best to help you find the best option for your family.