How to Plan a Funeral, Burial, or Cremation Service for Those That Served
The death of a loved one is a very difficult time. When that loved one is a veteran, families often look for special ways to honor the life and legacy of someone brave enough to fight for our country. At Wing-Bain Funeral Home in Montevideo, MN , we have several veteran memorialization options available to honor those who have served.
There are many ways to pay respects to a deceased veteran. Here are just a few ideas:
- The American Flag – Veterans are entitled to a free burial flag at the time of death. At Wing-Bain Funeral Home, your funeral director will help you obtain the flag. You can then decide whether to have it draped over the casket for the service or folded and on display.
- Create a Display – Items can be set up to show the dedication and love that a veteran has for his or her country. Some of these items can include the flag, medals, awards, and pictures of their time in service. Another simple yet honorable display option may be to use red, white and blue for a floral arrangement.
- Military Honors – Veterans can qualify for military honors at his or her funeral service. The honors include a gun salute, the playing of taps, and the presentation of the flag to the next of kin. These honors are typically held at the cemetery, but may also be held outside of where the service is taking place.
- Special Music – Music is often an important element in a funeral service. You may choose to find patriotic songs that are fitting for your loved one’s memorial. Some examples would be “The Battle Hymn of the Republic ,” “If You’re Reading This” by Tim McGraw and “Ragged Old Flag” by Johnny Cash.
- Their Uniform – A veteran’s uniform can highlight their career and accomplishments. You could bury your loved one in their uniform or have it displayed next to them.
It is important to think about how your veteran would want to be honored and remembered. This should be taken into consideration when planning a memorial service for the deceased. There are many ways to pay respects to a deceased veteran, and the caring staff at Wing-Bain Funeral Home has helped families of veterans in Montevideo, MN since 1962. If you have lost a loved one that served in the U.S. Armed Forces, call us day or night at (320) 269-8425 to learn more about our Veteran Services.