Both traditional burial and cremation are forms of final disposition, and each has its own benefits and merits. Here are some of the benefits of traditional burial and cremation:
Benefits of Traditional Burial:
1. Offers a sense of closure: Traditional burial can provide a sense of closure for the family members and friends of the deceased, knowing that the body has been laid to rest in a permanent location. Viewing the deceased also offers closure because it allows loved ones to say their final goodbyes. Saying goodbye is beneficial to getting through the grieving process.
2. Honoring cultural and religious traditions: Traditional burial is a significant part of many cultures and religions, and it provides a way to honor and respect the deceased person’s beliefs and practices.
3. Provides a physical location for family and friends to visit: A traditional burial provides a physical location for family and friends to visit and pay their respects to the deceased person, which can be comforting to those grieving.
Benefits of Cremation:
1. Flexibility: Cremation provides greater flexibility regarding the scheduling of the funeral or memorial service, allowing for more time to carefully plan and organize the event. Additionally, this affords relatives who need to travel a significant distance the opportunity to make necessary arrangements.
2. Cost-effective: Although cremation and traditional burial services typically cost the same, cremation can be more cost-effective because of the merchandise. An urn is a smaller expense than a casket and vault, so those families with tighter budgets may choose this option.
3. Portability: Cremated remains can be easily transported, making it possible for family members to keep the remains close to them or scatter them in a location that was significant to the deceased person.
Ultimately, the decision between a traditional burial and cremation is a personal one that may take into consideration multiple aspects. Here at Wing-Bain Funeral Home, we are happy to discuss both options and answer any questions you may have.